Toenail fungus or Onychomycosis is one of the most common conditions caused by the different groups of fungi that is affecting a majority of people. However, people try various remedies, but not all the remedies they use are safe. Let’s discuss a few safe remediesand the best treatment option available for this issue.
Onychomycosis or toenail fungus is a condition under which the affected nail gets thickened, brittle, crumbled, and may get discolored. It is done by a group of fungi known as dermatophytes. It has been found that molds and yeast can also cause toenail fungus. It is very much common in adults, athletes, and diabetic patients.
However, certain factors increase the chances of being affected by this fungus and may develop a severe condition.
Such risk factors are:
- Insufficient blood supply can create a suitable environment for the growth of fungi. Hence most old aged people are affected as the rate of blood flow is quite low and slow in the case of the old aged people.
- People with heavily sweating foot
- Any kind of injury in the nail or skin near the nail
- Diabetic patients are also prone to nail fungus as their blood supply is also low as well as their immunity is also weak as compared to normal people.
Symptoms of the toenail fungus
There are several symptoms of the condition with which you can assume tohave a toenail fungal infection and approach the doctor for further treatment.
So, here are the symptoms:
- Nails getting thickened
- Gradually discoloration of the nails to whitish or yellow-brown.
- Nails getting brittle and scrambled and also the distortion of the shape of the nail.
- Foul-smelling of the nails.
Also, there are certain complications, in case the fungus is left untreated or the patient is under high-riskfactors. For example, if the patient is left untreated then the infection may start spreading leading to permanent damage to the nail and in severe cases, it may affect the bone. It is highly risky for diabetic patients.
How to treat toenail fungus?
Various methods of treatment for the toenail fungus are:
- Home remedies: in its earlier stage you can try home remedies to treat the fungal infection. Here you can treat the toenail fungus by applying Vicks VapoRub, snakeroot extract, tea tree oil, olive leaf extract, ozonated oil, and vinegar to the affected nail.
- Antifungal medication: it includes antifungal pills that kill and prevents the further growth of the fungus however, it may have side effects on the consumer hence it would be better to have this medication under the supervision of the doctor. It also includes medication with terbinafine or itraconazole.
- Laser treatment: in case the patient is inconvenient with other medications then toenail fungus laser treatment is a good option. It includes the application of the photosensitizing compound over the affected toenail and exposing it to the laser light where the fungus gets killed.
Why bleaching is not a good option for the treatment?
Bleach or sodium hypochlorite can’t be considered a good option as a treatment for the treatment of toenail fungus as it has been published in an article by the Asian Journal of Research in Dermatological Science that it increases the chance of nails and skin getting affected by the fungus. And it acts as a supporterof the growth and spread of the fungal colony.
It can also leave an adverse effect on the skin by leaving a burning effect many patients after applying bleach have complained of a chemical burning sensation on their skin. Also, it can lead to severe allergic conditions for the patient by triggering the allergic factors.
Even though bleaching is not a good option for treating the fungal growth over the skin still you can use it to get rid of the fungus and fungal growth over the non-living things like shoes and socks and other clothes and surfaces.
Which is the most effective method to treat the toenail fungus?
Among various treatment methods, laser toenail fungus removal can be considered the best and most effective one as it kills the fungus underneath the toenail without causing any damage to the surrounding tissue. Hence it has more advantages over the other treatment method.
Under this Laser toenail fungus removal technique, a study was performed which provide a result that showed a 61% cure rate within 16 weeks. And another study gave a result of1% clinical improvement and a 30% cure rate within 180 days.
Where you can get the best treatment?
You can get the best treatment for your toenail fungus through a Podiatrist in Irvine imaSoltani. She is one of the best podiatrists available in Irvine, mostly known for her special skills inoperations less treatment. She has a work experience of over 20 years. Under her office and supervision, you can even get the best laser treatment for toenail fungus.
There are various methods available for the treatment of the toenail fungus. However, make sure about the impact that this may cause on the body.